With over 15 years of corporate and freelance experience in design, direction, management, and production,
I enjoy using my extensive skillset in a hands-on approach of taking ideas from conception to execution and exceeding expectations.
Banijay Studios, North America
June 2017 – September 2019
- Established the first digital editorial property of BSNA and initiated the development of various in-house projects.
- Spearheaded innovative design, development partnerships, marketing initiatives, and design management.
- Developed and executed compelling marketing plans for specific demographics.
- Generate profit and optimize the long-term potential of the brand.
- Created tailored marketing materials based on Executive requirements.
- Adept at utilizing technical languages in various web development projects.
- Actively maximize digital/social media marketing campaigns.
- Increased the conversion of traffic through the use of SEO and engaging visuals.
- Spearheaded and monitored social media campaigns to promote the brand’s ongoing presence on social media.
- Directed, produced, and designed motion graphics, marketing materials, and overall identity for multiple in-house brands.
- Secured multiple $100k+ direct ad buys through design and presentation.
- Acquired 8M+ monthly visitors through SEO optimization and 8M+ video views
- Oversaw the production of 6k+ engaging video content.
- Executed A/V revenue streams agreements with YouTube, and Facebook.
- Increased social media followers by 300% in the first year.
Soda & Lime Advertising
Executive Creative Director / Founding Partner
August 2014 – April 2017
- Managed the acquisition and creative direction for clients from print to A/V.
- Accomplished hands-on design and management of a variety of creative teams, account directors, and stakeholders.
- Fostered a multicultural and empowering workforce and company atmosphere.
- Oversaw collective media spend of $12M through the positioning, branding, and strategy development for clients in Sports, Television, Theatrical, Streaming, and CPG (lifestyle fashion, apparel, furniture dry goods, energy drinks) with yearly services billable over $9M.
- Executed the function of a creative leader and served as a liaison between C-level clients and 20+ internal team members.
- Planned, assigned, and managed average of 4,000 creative works per year.
- Manage projects encompassing a multitude of print, video, and social elements.
- Oversaw the design, media, and development budgets.
- Managed short-term projects in tandem with yearlong client-specific initiatives.
- Confirmed LA Kings AOR for 5+ years
- Acquired 600M+ social media impressions for Blumhouse.
- Enhanced key creative segments in Sports, Theatrical, and Editorial Brands, resulting in 500% increase in annual company billings.
- Relaunched OK! Magazine, redesigned Travel & Leisure, and Koral E-Comm
- Landed $900k+ of creative and marketing contracts during first year.
Warner Bros / TMZ
January 2010 – February 2014
- Directed a team of 24/7 graphic artists, multi-scale projects, newsroom operations, and sales activation team.
- Collaborated with WB and Telepictures management to ensure deadlines are met.
- Planned and designed product/brand extensions.
- Optimized the TMZ consumer experience through detail-focused data and feedback.
- Multi-tasked daily editorial needs with long-term project milestones.
- Collaborated with show producers, talent, and execs to ensure A/V content is monetized through all available channels.
- Capitalized on additional creative content and market it through relevant avenues.
- Increased team workflow by 40% via effective forward-thinking management.
- Streamlined the developmental, marketing, and pitching processes.
- Redesigned TMZ app, managed the TMZ Tour development & promotion, launched TMZ Store, and designed various TMZ.com refreshes.
- Launched new promotional campaigns and RFP strategies resulting in multiple $200k plus direct ad sales.
- Successfully unified entire brand with design standards and guidelines.
- Designed sister-site (TooFab) within an unprecedented 72-hour deadline.
Associate Creative Director
February 2014 – August 2014
Managed client and in-house design projects along with creative brainstorms for recognizable giants as HBO, Lifetime, Bravo!, and History Channel.
April 2007 – October 2009
Led digital and print design agency with over 20 active clients and consumer focused print production studio. Maintained company relations, budgets, consistent design quality, and daily operations until company’s acquisition.
Consultation & Freelance
Multifaceted Creative Direction & Design
January 2005 – Current
Create brand identity, websites, blogs, logos, and social media advertisements for different projects and clients.
Adobe Suites: Photoshop, Acrobat, Premiere Pro, After Effects, InDesign, Audition, XD, Dreamweaver and Illustrator
Social Media Platforms: Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Youtube, Tumblr, Twitch, TikTok
Development: WordPress, PHP, JS, MySQL, CSS, HTML, WooCommerce, Shopify, Magento, Drupal, CodeBase, Assembla
Marketing Platforms: Google Analytics, Google Marketing Platform, MailChimp, Constant Contact
SAVANNAH COLLEGE OF
ART & DESIGN
Bachelor of Fine Arts in Graphic Design
SAVANNAH COLLEGE OF
ART & DESIGN
Bachelor of Arts in Advertising
Search Engine Optimization (SEO)
Social Media Marketing
UI / UX Expert
Josh is a truly gifted designer with a wide breadth of experience. He not only changed the way the day-to-day operation worked at TMZ, but infused new life into the brand through the way he and his team created visuals.
Where Josh truly excelled was in dreaming up and executing on amazing advertising sales based creatives and coming up with ideas for new ways to delight advertisers and our audience. From having a shark take a bite out of the TMZ logo in support of Shark Week for Discovery Channel to the hundreds of comps he created to push our ad revenue numbers by breaking new business, Josh was the member of the team that was always relied upon and never let us down - even with impossibly tight deadlines to meet.
I cannot recommend his skills, eye for detail and creativity enough. I would love to have him on my team again. He's that good. And, he also is easy to work with and deals with his staff as gracefully as he does senior management and clients.
Josh is the creative leader any company or client dreams to find. Josh's down to earth leadership style matches his creative vision. It balances with attention to detail, leading to a very approachable creative process from initial creative ideations through campaign launch.
With over 15 projects together, Josh has time and time again hit every deadline and exceeded my team's expectations with additional deliverables and easy communication, even with approaching deadlines or shifting priorities.
Josh's huge breadth of skills, from his branding and digital media projects to website development and media planning, is a Swiss army knife that continues to grow with each project.
I try to work with Joshua every chance I get. Everything he delivers is on time and extremely high quality, and his infectiously positive attitude takes all the stress out of the work, allowing you the freedom to really focus on making the best possible product.
Josh is by far one of the most dynamic creative thinkers I have ever had the pleasure of working with on several projects. I met Josh during our undergraduate studies, and as we’ve progressed throughout our professional careers, he is the one person I know I can count on when I encounter a creative roadblock.
His technical knowledge and design savvy exceeds that of any other creative individual with whom I’ve worked. If Josh doesn’t know the answer, then the answer doesn’t exist. His thinking is innovative, his solutions on target, and his approach managed appropriately to ensure the optimal outcome.
Sometimes I wonder how he’s able to get done what he gets done, but he does…and it’s always delivered with that Mr. Wells flair.