With over 15 years of corporate and freelance experience in design, direction, management, and production,
I enjoy using my extensive skillset in a hands-on approach of taking ideas from conception to execution and exceeding expectations.
Innovative, positive, and goal oriented Creative Director with 15+ years of exceptional design and direction in digital visual trends, Print, OOH, Interactive, UI/UX, Email, Mobile and Social.
Deep expertise and collaborative in executing print, digital and broadcast campaigns for in-house brands and agency clients.
Inspiring leader and storyteller in creating relevant content that builds presence and authority, setting industry trends and influence.
Ability to collaborate and cultivate relationships with key stakeholders, business leaders, and team members, across all levels of the organization.
Proven track record in delivering a wide range of digital and multi-media platforms with the ability to juggle effective and resourceful marketing strategies and campaigns that deliver stellar results.
Adobe Creative Suite Design Tools Photoshop, Acrobat, Premiere Pro, After Effects, InDesign, Audition, XD, Dreamweaver and Illustrator
Social Media Platforms: Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Youtube, Tumblr, Twitch, TikTok
Development: WordPress, PHP, JS, MySQL, CSS, HTML5, WooCommerce, Shopify, Magento, Drupal, CodeBase, Assembla, CMS, JIRA
Marketing Platforms / Apps: Google Analytics, Google Marketing Platform, MailChimp, Constant Contact, CRM, Tableau, Domo, Amplitude
Standards: Apple iWork Suite, Microsoft Word, Powerpoint, Excel, Outlook
SAVANNAH COLLEGE OF ART & DESIGN
Bachelor of Fine Arts in Graphic Design
SAVANNAH COLLEGE OF ART & DESIGN
Bachelor of Arts in Advertising
Content Management Systems
Metrics & Data Analysis
Publishing (Digital & Traditional)
Social Media Marketing
Streaming / OTT
Strong Presentation Skills
Television / TV
Video Editing Software
ABC, Angels, AEG, Amgen Tour of California, ArtStar, B Draddy, BAO, Blumhouse, Breakout Gaming, Fox, Fox Sports, Koral, LA Angels, LA Kings, Lifetime, Majestic Las Vegas, NBC, NHL, OraTV, Park Hill Estate, PrintedPosts, Red Bull, Savannah Pride, Study Buddy, The Africa Channel, Time Inc., Travel and Leisure, United Esports, Universal Studios, Vizr Productions, World of Dance
Banijay Studios, North America
June 2017 – September 2019
- Spearheaded innovative design through online, A/V, and digital marketing initiatives for production studio.
- Developed, trained, and managed in-house design team.
- Established studio’s first digital entertainment news property.
- Initiated the development of creative projects while serving as hybrid director and designer.
- Led strategy for marketing creative, visual identity and internal design partners.
- Design and implement various project identities; including logos, websites, 3D renders, motion graphic packages, social media elements, and brand guidelines in a sensitive and high pressure environment.
- Develop creative executions that grow and monetize audiences across social, digital and linear platforms.
- Execute rich-media and advertising partnerships across brand platform.
- Spearhead value-driving initiatives to focus on brand awareness, such as daily social media campaigns, custom video productions, livestreams, podcasts, and online promotions.
- Evolve brand experience and exposure through qualitative analysis, focus groups, and A/B testing.
- Create tailored marketing materials and RFPs for partnerships, executives, and ad sales.
- Increase the conversion of traffic through optimized SEO, meta-data practices, and UI/UX improvements.
- Standardize creative asset management (photos, video, audio) across organization.
- Develop creative solutions for Ad Sales, Business Development and Sponsorship to increase revenue opportunities in addition to ad buys.
- Secured multiple $100k+ direct ad buys through design and presentation.
- Developed long and short form high quality digital video series, and live programming.
- Acquired average 8M+ monthly unique visitors and 9M+ video views
- Produced over 6,000+ engaging videos.
- Executed A/V revenue stream partnerships with YouTube, Facebook.
- Increased social media followers by 300% in the first year.
- Secured syndication partnerships with Meredith, Sinclair, MSN, and Oath.
Soda & Lime Advertising
Executive Creative Director
August 2014 – April 2017
- Established, led innovative and inclusive creative department in LA-based agency.
- Successfully orchestrated cross-disciplinary creative collaboration among photographers, videographers, art directors, editors, copywriters, brand strategists, and freelancers in a start-up environment.
- Oversaw and developed campaigns for agency portfolio; spanning sports, television, theatrical, editorial, retail, CPGs and SaaS.
- Conceived agency hierarchy, quality standards, employee qualifications and responsibilities.
- Developed programs and procedures to provide clients with customized, collaborative, and economical creative services resulting in end-consumer retention and client satisfaction.
- Worked collaboratively to train teams and exceed established KPIs for roster of 25+ active clients.
- Execute the function of creative lead and serve as liaison between C-level clients and 20+ internal team.
- Plan, assign, and manage quality for an average of 4,000+ complex projects and creative tasks annually
- Initiate effective workflow protocols with internal and external teams to prioritize and deliver on-time creative.
- Lead creative along with account directors and stakeholders on all client pitches, integrations, planning, and presentations.
- Direct, manage, and develop all client creative initiatives including integrated TV, A/V, print, digital, direct mail, e-comm, social, and web properties.
- Manage short-term and year-long client initiatives ensuring alignment with established brand standards.
- Oversee collective media spend of $12M for clients, averaging yearly services billable over $9M, with a client average of 140% ROI.
- Secured agency as AOR for clients including AEG, Orion, and Fox.
- Conceived and executed creative proposals that resulted in more than $1M of net revenue during first year.
- Acquired collective 1B+ social media impressions for client roster.
- Vetted and on-boarded vendors to scale business in growth periods, expedite projects, and close skillsets to deliver cost-effective high-quality content, resulting in 500% increase in annual company billings.
- Relaunched high-profile properties such as OK! Magazine, Travel & Leisure, and Koral.
Warner Bros / Telepictures
January 2010 – February 2014
- Formed and led first in-house creative team of 24/7 designers and art directors through strategic direction, conceptualization, and production of all brand identities, marketing campaigns and initiatives.
- Established visual tone and brand voice as first Creative Director.
- Led multi-scale studio projects, editorial operations, and sales activations in a fast-paced environment.
- Collaborated with WB management to increase brand exposure through relevant emerging outlets.
- Planned, designed, and led multiple brand extensions that resonated and increased viewership both online and via syndication.
- Scaled creative division with collaborative and cost-effective creative team during accelerated brand growth.
- Synthesized focus group research, positioning, key marketing points and feedback to craft content and improve efficiency and exposure.
- Oversee complete creative strategy, development, and execution of flagship TMZ brand and its portfolio.
- Collaborate with show producers, talent, and execs to lead multi-phased and multi-platform content that is cohesive, on-brand, and monetized.
- Multi-task daily editorial needs with long-term project milestones.
- Capitalize on additional content and market through relevant avenues and external partners.
- Work extensively with managers, editorial, executives, research, clips & clearances, and legal on daily basis for production.
- Increased team workflow by 40% by implementing project management processes and accountability.
- Led social and video branding to increase collective followers from 500k to 6M across all social platforms.
- Streamlined RFP process for partnerships and integrations, resulting in $1M+ direct ad sales.
- Redesigned TMZ App, garnering 1M+ downloads in first week launch.
- Managed brand extensions and promotions, launched e-comm site, and designed various brand refreshes.
- Secured partnerships with companies such as Microsoft and XBOX for content syndication.
- Implemented over 200+ IAB standard ad campaigns for clients such as Lifetime, OMD, USA, CW, and Discovery.
- Successfully unified the entire brand with design standards and best practices.
- Delivered first-to-market designs that set industry standards.
- Designed the sister-site (TooFab) brand within an unprecedented 72-hour deadline.
Associate Creative Director
February 2014 – August 2014
- Oversaw, managed, and provided mentorship to a team of Art Directors, designers, developers, and producers with the agency.
- Produced pixel-perfect campaign creative for HBO, Lifetime, Bravo, History Channel, USA Networks, NBC, Lifetime, WGN America, Sony, and Universal.
- Partnered with industry entertainment giants to create cohesive campaigns for broadcast, online, and print.
- Executed multiple campaign pitches to secure accounts and agency business.
- Worked in tandem with ECD, copywriters, and strategists to solidify seasonal campaign direction for broadcast and theatrical clients.
- Designed and developed innovative microsites, brand extensions, applications, social media and online marketing materials.
April 2007 – October 2009
- Managed digital and print design studio with 20+ retainer clients.
- Directed a team of 10 in-house designers.
- Effectively engaged customer and based through OOH and burgeoning social media marketing.
- Increased gross revenue by 125% annually.
- Upheld company standards, budgets, consistent design quality, and daily operations.
- Staffed, structured, and managed internal design team.
Consultation & Freelance
Multifaceted Creative Direction & Design
January 2005 – Current
Delivering and developing brand identity, websites, e-commerce platforms, logos, social media presence, and brand strategy for a diverse portfolio of projects, corporations, and clients with follow through and attention to detail.
Josh is a truly gifted designer with a wide breadth of experience. He not only changed the way the day-to-day operation worked at TMZ, but infused new life into the brand through the way he and his team created visuals.
Where Josh truly excelled was in dreaming up and executing on amazing advertising sales based creatives and coming up with ideas for new ways to delight advertisers and our audience. From having a shark take a bite out of the TMZ logo in support of Shark Week for Discovery Channel to the hundreds of comps he created to push our ad revenue numbers by breaking new business, Josh was the member of the team that was always relied upon and never let us down - even with impossibly tight deadlines to meet.
I cannot recommend his skills, eye for detail and creativity enough. I would love to have him on my team again. He's that good. And, he also is easy to work with and deals with his staff as gracefully as he does senior management and clients.
Josh is the creative leader any company or client dreams to find. Josh's down to earth leadership style matches his creative vision. It balances with attention to detail, leading to a very approachable creative process from initial creative ideations through campaign launch.
With over 15 projects together, Josh has time and time again hit every deadline and exceeded my team's expectations with additional deliverables and easy communication, even with approaching deadlines or shifting priorities.
Josh's huge breadth of skills, from his branding and digital media projects to website development and media planning, is a Swiss Army knife that continues to grow with each project.
As the Creative Director for The Blast, Josh was invaluable as a leader of the team through the website development and execution. Using his vast knowledge of skills, Josh was able to wear many hats throughout the technical and creative design, and provided meaningful insight that led us to make educated decisions when it came to revenue and editorial direction. Aside from his technical and creative prowess, Josh is one of the most caring human beings I’ve ever had the pleasure to work alongside, and he has proven himself to not only be a dedicated employee, but a trustworthy friend. He’s worth it.
I try to work with Joshua every chance I get. Everything he delivers is on time and extremely high quality, and his infectiously positive attitude takes all the stress out of the work, allowing you the freedom to really focus on making the best possible product.
Josh is by far one of the most dynamic creative thinkers I have ever had the pleasure of working with on several projects. I met Josh during our undergraduate studies, and as we’ve progressed throughout our professional careers, he is the one person I know I can count on when I encounter a creative roadblock.
His technical knowledge and design savvy exceeds that of any other creative individual with whom I’ve worked. If Josh doesn’t know the answer, then the answer doesn’t exist. His thinking is innovative, his solutions on target, and his approach managed appropriately to ensure the optimal outcome.
Sometimes I wonder how he’s able to get done what he gets done, but he does…and it’s always delivered with that Mr. Wells flair.